March 09, 2016
Is your indoor environment making you sick? Today, according to the EPA, over half of all homes and buildings in the US are considered "sick". So, there is a real chance that indoor pollution is compromising your health. If you've dealt with allergies for a long time, you're probably familiar with the basics of allergy prevention by now, like how you shouldn't pet your friend's cat or hang around in dusty attics. Nonetheless, taking those measures is simply not enough. "Hidden allergens and irritants are a huge problem for people with allergies," says Hugh H. Windom, MD, a professor of immunology at the University of South Florida. To a person with serious allergies, the home can seem like a minefield sometimes. Here at Germinator Mobile Sanitizing, our home sanitizing
experts care about you and your family's health. Below, we have compiled a list of some allergens you may not be noticing and some advice from the experts on how to avoid them.
• Vacuum cleaners:
Did you know that vacuuming could be bad for some allergies? A regular vacuum is perfectly fine for sucking up simple things like dust and pet hair. The problem is that some allergens are so tiny that they can go right through the filter, rocketing out of the vacuum's exhaust. It turns out, using a low-efficiency vacuum could make things worse for your allergies! "You're turning your vacuum into an allergen dispersal device." says Jay M. Portnoy, MD, president of ACAAI. You are probably wondering, then, "What should I do?" Well, to stop vacuuming is out of the question. Why? Because a buildup of dust – which is full of allergens like dust mites – is exactly what an allergic person should be avoiding. Our recommendation? Use a vacuum with a High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter, which will work more efficiently to catch most allergens.
• Cleaning products:
There are a lot of cleaning agents that should be avoided by people with allergies. Even though they are not allergens per se, cleaning agents can irritate the airways very easily and trigger serious allergic symptoms. "When you're cleaning in an enclosed space, you must always have good ventilation," says Pramod S. Kelkar, MD, chair of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology's Cough Taskforce. Our recommendation? Never forget to keep your doors and windows open while cleaning!
As you probably know, moisture is crucial for the growth of mold. Dust mites also live happily in a moist environment. If you suffer from allergies, you should try to keep humidity levels at 40% or below. The problem is, that when it's too dry, that isn't good for your allergies either! When the air is dry, the body's natural response is to moisturize it. In the process, your nasal passages generate excess mucus and make you stuffed up. So, if your nose is bothering you, you may think it's the dust in your heating vents causing those allergy symptoms during the fall and winter, but most of the time it's just your body's response to dry air. Our recommendation? Get a hygrometer! It's a simple device that reads the humidity in your home. It also allows you to either humidify or dehumidify, depending on the moisture levels in your home.
Suffering from allergies and spending hours inside of your home every day means that it is important for the area to be perfectly sanitized. To achieve this, you must not only keep thoroughly clean surfaces in your home, but also make sure that the items in your home are completely allergen-free. Professional sanitizing measures will prevent the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, and allergens. Did you know that dust mites, pollen, and other allergens cannot survive an ozone sanitizing treatment? This presents an immediate relief to allergy sufferers. So, if you suffer from serious allergies, ozone sanitizing by The Germinator is perfect for you.
Germinator Mobile Sanitizing brings healthy living and speedy sanitizing right to your office or doorstep. It's very simple: once The Germinator shows up at your location, we load it with the items you wish to sanitize, and within 30 – 60 minutes, you enjoy the results. Our process uses both ozone and heat to sanitize and disinfect items. Our ozone technology has been scientifically-proven in independent laboratory studies to eliminate 99.9% of viruses, allergens, and harmful bacteria, making your home a safer place for you and your family. It also destroys bedbugs, lice, and dust mites. The best part? Our treatment is 100% non-toxic, natural, and completely safe for children and pets!
Our goal is to create a healthier, safer, and more comfortable environment for you, your family, and your co-workers. Call us today at 855-NO-GERMZ (664-3769) or fill out the form below to schedule a service with The Germinator!